Call it irony that a player, who played Lawn Tennis for the State for the past 13 years and won the number of singles and doubles tournaments, medals for the State in different age categories struggling against odds.
Winning a number of medals does not ensure player of any further assurance or funds from the State government. But despite this, Jharkhand’s players continued to gift their state proud moments, the same story once again.
With her brilliant performance Lawn Tennis player Monalisha Chakraborty a resident of Barmasia village under Chandankiyari block of Bokaro district is in a fix.
“Recently I received 80 per cent scholarship for US tennis training and tournament and also for my higher studies by Seward County Community College. Now I am struggling hard for the rest of 20 percent (ie Rs 7 lakhs),” said Monalish.
“I have requested from the State government for the help but all goes in-vain. Though earlier I got government support but this time officials refused to help me,” she added.
An alienated attitude of the government officials irked Monalisha who is facing a tough time and she is deep concern over her future. “I excelled in several tournaments since past 13 years and now it is sad to see the state’s continuing apathy regarding the budding talents,” she added.
“I have played a lot of tournaments for the State, under 12 and 14 (age group) I played singles and doubles tournaments held at Jamshedpur; in under 16 and 18 I have won tournaments held at Haryana, Bengaluru and Mumbai,” said Monalisha.
“In women’s, I have won singles and doubles tournaments held at Patna and Kolkata. I have also played two international tournaments held at Aurangabad and Navi Mumbai, also represented the state in 34th National Games,” she said.
“I still hope that the government thinks for me,” she added.
Like her there are several other sports stars, who are facing the government’s apathy and poverty forced them to spend miserable life.
Sports Minister Amar Bauri said, we are very much concerned about her, asked Monalisha to submit utilization certificate for the past monetary help provided by the government.